The short answer is yes. Your furnace can potentially be releasing carbon monoxide inside your house. If an HVAC unit is not functioning correctly, carbon monoxide poisoning is a dangerous health hazard with a malfunctioning use of fuels. This is based from a study from the University of Rochester Medical Center.
Please note that an electric space heater, electric hot water heater and electric stoves do not pose a threat for carbon monoxide in the home.
What are signs of carbon monoxide in my house?
Carbon monoxide symptoms can include:
Hard to catch your breath.
Vision is blurred.
Take necessary steps to have your furnace serviced during the cold months of the year. Installing a carbon monoxide detector is another way to help keep your home and health protected. Whether you're needing a new heater or annual maintenance on your existing furnace make sure to use a licensed HVAC technician.